Friday, May 11, 2007

Strip surgery at the New Hair Clinic in Sweden

Disclaimer: It's more than 6 years since I had my hair surgery at New Hair Clinic. They have probably updated their methods since then, and some of my experiences might not be relevant anymore.

I had three treatments at New Hair Clinic, first to cover my previous punch grafts done by Nobel Clinic, and then two to increase my hair volume.

All in all, I'm quite content, although there are issues with unnatural looking hair and a visible strip scar in my neck. The transplants have given me confidence by helping me look younger, but have also made me very self conscious about my hairline and the strip scar in my neck.

These worries steal a lot of energy, and has often distanced me from close relations. I have never liked people touching my hair, lying on someones lap, or being too close. This is the sad part to me, as it has somewhat changed me as a person. These are some of the reasons I don't recommend strip surgery hair transplants, but natural looking hair is of course equally important.

Note: I have no knowledge of the quality of work produced by New Hair Clinic today (6 years later), but I do know they still use the strip surgery method.

Unnatural looking hair

The biggest issue for me has been somewhat unnatural results produced by New Hair Clinic at the time. This was not too apparent at first, as I had some of my natural hair left between the grafts. But as my own hair disappeared, it's been gradually more visible.

There are two issues in particular causing the unnatural look:
  • Unnatural angling of the hair
    The transplanted hairs have been placed standing straight up on my head (perpendicular). This looks particularly unnatural, especially at the temples, where my new hairline meets my natural hair on the sides. Natural hair points forward in this area, not straight up, and thus it's very visible where my transplanted hair begins, as the angle shifts very abruptly.

  • Grafts placed too deep. This is somewhat the reverse effect of the "cobblestone" appearance seen on some patients. The grafts are placed too deep in the skin, creating small dips or holes in the skin around each graft. The skin is very uneven, and the result is quite visible in the hairline.

  • Unevenly placed grafts. A large portion of my transplanted hair was placed on the right side of my head, producing a somewhat unnatural look. Also, there are large areas where no grafts were placed at all, while other areas have tightly placed grafts. Because of this, I've had to maintain small "comb overs" to cover the bald spots, and cut my hair shorter on the right side.
Luckily, I have curly, frizzy hair, which dampens the effect somewhat.

The strip scar

At the time I had my operations, strip surgery was the best option, and in this light I'm quite pleased with New Hair Clinic.

After three transplants, my strip scar is still quite thin. At least they've done a good job on me compared to what you can see on other strip surgery patients. Dr. Hussain showed me a patient with particularly brutal scars on his web pages. Note that this is not a patient of New Hair Clinic.

After my last surgery, the stitches on my right side came undone, causing some bleeding. This is probably also why my scar is more visible on this side.

Deciding against New Hair Clinic

After discovering FUE I did not want to do another strip surgery. After all, hiding the strip scar was a big point to me, and I didn't want a new one.

New Hair Clinic now offers FUE hair transplants, but this does not seem to be their area of expertise. As I also had some uncertainties based on my own results from 6 years back, I wanted to make sure I got the very best results for my latest hair transplant. I guess I just needed extra reassurance for my last hair transplant.

I got the reassurance I needed when I met Dr. Hussain from My Hair Clinic for a consultation in Norway. Being able to meet in person made a world of difference to me, and so I stopped scanning for other alternative clinics, and thus ruled out New Hair Clinic.

It's difficult for me to judge the quality of New Hair Clinics work today. It's been 6 years, and the hair transplant field has evolved enormously. I can only recommend that you think through the issues concerning strip surgery, and maybe make some extra inquiries about hair placement and angling of the hairs (see above) to ensure a natural look.

You can also check out my experiences with Dr. Hussain.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

the surgical hair tranplant method is quite good
Hair Transplant Pakistan

Cutis Medical said...

I want to make sure that it is very important to see whether or not his is something that is going to improve in many way.
Hair Removal

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to say thanks for this kind of post and I highly recommended it, thanks again for sharing such a wonderful post.
Cosmetic Surgery

Allan said...

for getting more information hair transplant costs in gurgaon, website http://www.skindelhi.com/hair_transplant.html

aana1 said...

Hair Transplant is easily available in all over India at low rates and the techniques are much appreciated by the patients.

Unknown said...


Hair transplant,delhi,ranchi,jaipur best hair transplant in india at best cost by world class surgeons Dr KAVISH CHOUHAN.Several clinic are using different kinds of techniques to remove the hairs from the body but our laser hair removal transplant in Delhi provides is the most suitable and best method to eliminate the unwanted hairs from all body parts.contact us +91 98726-33771.


Cost Of Hair Transplant In India


Hair Transplant Surgery Cost In India

mind.it said...

You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. hair loss

Smaira kapoor said...

The new technology has greatly helped the surgeons to provide the natural-looking hair transplant to the patients. If you want to know about the history of hair transplant treatment and how it was performed then you can visit our blog post.

Unknown said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Please visit https://goo.gl/RWXSj7

Unknown said...

The Bio FUE hair transplant surgery involves the combination of both FUE and bio hair therapy. If you want to overcome your baldness problem and want to get the quality Bio FUE hair transplant in India at very reasonable prices then visit our centre.

nrihairtransplantindia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Smith said...

Nice blog. Thank you so much for sharing this blog with us. Keep posting such informative blogs.
We also offer the best hair transplant surgeries to our patients at a very low cost. So if you are going for Hair transplant surgery, then you must contact us. For more details, visit our website.

Unknown said...

"Technique of Hair Transplant surgery involves procedure of extracting live hair grafts (hair follicles, skin and tissue) from where hair are in access (called donor sites) on the patient's head or from body source then planting them to the balding region(called recipient site)"!!!


hair transplant in surat 

Unknown said...

Adlakha hospital has over four decades of experience in the healthcare sector. It is known for providing quality healthcare and valuable experience to all domestic and international patients.